Music Therapy is known to be an effective tool in helping people with a range of emotional disorders and mental health illnesses.
Music Therapy and mental health is an area in which a Music Therapist may work with an individual in a psychodynamic way to address problems rooted in the clients past; with the medium for communication being predominantly improvised music. Group work can be beneficial as a means of exploring relationships, reducing social isolation and facilitating a greater self-understanding.
Music therapy can help individuals with mental issues by:
- Encouraging clients to express themselves creatively.
- Helping clients feel more motivated.
- Developing social and communication skills.
- Gain a greater awareness of self and of self in relation to others.
- Build and strengthen self-esteem and self worth.
- Empower the client to becoming more confident in making choices and decisions in their daily lives.
- Provide a secure and accepting environment, where positive change can take place.